Pages

November 11, 2011

Boxed In Remix

Not sure if you remember this canvas, Boxed In, but this will be it's third remix :-)  What can I say, sometimes I like to take an old canvas and give it a new direction.  It's sporting a very different look today so I thought I'd share.  This is done in acrylics then highlighted with bronze ink, gives it a wonderful aged feel.  I'll let it set for awhile before I finish it out.


Still working on the new triptych, I believe it's ready for paint, once I get my colour mixes tweaked I'll get started on it, this is a new commissioned piece.


Did you know there are 5 universal shapes? These shapes show up around the world, across all cultures in artwork and the like.  According to cultural anthropologist, Angeles Arrien, "the square symbolizes: stability, solidity, and security.  Meaning: Drawing a square mirrors the process of constructing a foundation. These people are ready to build, to implement a plan, to manifest ideas. They need consistency, accountability and completion."


Interesting isn't it? Helps to explains why I don't tend to like working with squares very much! Notice how loosely my squares are filled in, consistency & completion are not big ticket items for me, I have to live life so on the fly because of my health that these elements became things I had to let go of in order to find a way to be at peace.   I'm a circle, spiral and cross girl myself :-)  
Angeles Arrien says,
"Circle: Symbolizes, wholeness, the experience of unity


Meaning: When people are engaged in the search for wholeness they aspire to independence and individuation. What they need most is space, room in which to find themselves, and develop their own identity.
In Relationships: These people will feel loved and trusted when allowed plenty of space. If the space they need is not offered to them, they will simply take it. It is wise to wait and to allow the person who is in this process to initiate communication and contact.
Underlying Fear: entrapment, being caught in a situation that will restrict or restrain them"

In a nutshell they mean:
Circle: Symbolizes, wholeness, the experience of unity
Cross: Symbolizes, relationships, integration
Spiral: Symbolizes, growth, evolution
Square: Symbolizes, stability, solidity, and security
The fifth symbol is the Triangle, symbolizing: dreams, visions and goals


Intriguing why we move towards certain of these shapes in our work at different times.  I first heard about these universal shapes while reading Betsy Dillard Stroud's book, Painting From The Inside Out. Betsy uses a lot of personal symbolism in her work.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...