Pages

March 31, 2011

Boxed In

"The ending of a painting is a very delicate time, because if the painting is left unfinished, enthusiasm and intuition will decrease for the following painting, and the momentum and the sense of adventure will dramatically fade away..."  Michele Cassou, Kids Play


This statement rang true to me for I was experiencing it when I read what Michele had to say in her book on Igniting Children's Creativity, Kids Play.  If you follow my blog you know I've been in a battle with my latest canvas.  For me it was the perfect storm, a colour palette that I don't work in and a boxie, geometric design that I don't enjoy working with.  Long story short, I finally took it one step too far and there was no way back but to break out and change it up completely.  I couldn't do anything about the design but I could change out the colour palette and did as this picture shows.  This was just the beginning, (macro shot shows a little) it's come a long way since and I am no longer fighting the canvas, I'm going to be able to 'finish.'  I'll use the fist colour palette on a piece that is open and free flowing in the future.

"when a painting is well completed, a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction arises and with it the inspiration for the next painting."  Michele Cassou, Kids Play


There is a huge difference between setting a piece aside, knowing you need to let it simmer until you figure out the next step and knowing you are completely hung up, blocked and you're ready to quit.  The latter leaves you stuck just as Michele writes.  I was certainly there and knew it.

It makes me wonder how many other things we abandoned, or given up on,  that leave us mired, stuck, unable to move on?  There's something to be said for doing your all to make it work, or work it out before we walk away and not have it's entrails following us for the rest of our days.

You never stop learning about yourself when you work creatively.  I realize that geometers leave me feeling so boxed in and hampered a throw back to my inner resistance to being hemmed in by expectations, restrictions and short comings.  Amazing what your art reveals about you and to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...