Pages

July 5, 2013

Creative Challenges

Phew! I'm finally on the home stretch in finishing up current commissioned pieces so I can focus on creating works for up coming fairs.  I wonder does every artist need that ebb and flow between doing specific pieces for clients and the free fall of creating whatever appeals to you in the moment?

Taking on special custom pieces always feels risky to me.  I love being able to give collectors something deeply personal and special, but it does bring a level of stress with it that I don't feel when just painting for my own pleasure.  I guess that would be true of anything we might be attempting to do for another.  Always, my biggest concern is, do they have too detailed a vision of how they want it to look, and do they 'love' my style and voice in painting.  Either of these can put you in deep water when doing custom work.  So far, all my clients have been happy with the results and for that I am abundantly thankful.

Interestingly enough, as I work on these various custom pieces, I am forced often to explore and develop new ideas and ways of painting to make it work, which leads to whole new opportunities of exploration with the free flowing pieces.  Learning curves, all of it!  I've been on a major learning curve for the past four years, ever since I took up painting.

Unfortunately I can't show you the completed pieces, this is just snippets of one that looks like hammered metal, all copper, bronze and gold and with the Dorland's Wax as a finish, the look and feel is quite sumptuous.  Needless to say all that shimmer does not photograph well :-)

"I am less interested in what people profess than what they do.  What do you do every day in your life to enhance creativity and imagination? Creation is an aggregate of many small things as well as bold actions."  Shaun McNiff, Trust The Process
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...