Pages

November 7, 2011

"Art Flourishes In Constraints"

"But while art flourishes in constraints, it does not do so easily." David DuChemin


I'm a fan of David DuChemin's work, his photography and his words.  In fact it was his words that first captivated me.  I had bought his book Within The Frame for one of my photography loving sisters and got lost in the mind and spirit of it's author.  I love how he writes about creativity and the artist eye.  


Today David has posted a piece that I relate to...the restraints and changes that our physical being can bring our way.  David survived a terrible fall and is finding his world altered because of it, just as mine has been radically altered because of the severe fibromyalgia and now arthritis.  


"But if this sounds like a building storm of pity, it’s not. It’s simply the recognition of a new reality. A reality, like yours, that is full of constraints. But while art flourishes in constraints, it does not do so easily. I am slowing down. I am back in school. And like many of my own students, having a melt-down on the first day of a workshop, I’ve come back to that place where nothing – nothing – comes easily." David DuChemin


Well said David.  I get it.  Sometimes I chafe at the constrains and limitations that chronic pain has brought into my life. But then I take measure, as David is, and I adapt and find what I need within the life that I have now.  We all have our things that we must push through, and allow to work their way out through our art, whatever its form may be.  


That being said, I've got a new piece on the go, it's fairly large 48 x 24. Had a great time coming up with the design and am adding my textured base before layering in the paint.  I used my favourite new toy, Wood Icing in sections, the yellow parts. Gosh I love this stuff, I'd have used it on a lot more of the canvases but I'm hoarding it until I can order in a new supply.  Thank you Mary Beth for having that give away contest!  







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...