Pages

April 19, 2011

Multitasking Art

Thought I'd show you the beginnings of a new piece, layering in some design and texture elements right now. I love the fluid flow of the design, makes me feel unrestricted!  Funny thing, only with my art am I this messy.  Usually I work pretty neatly, maybe because I hate to clean.  But when I'm creating the last thing I want, or do worry about is mess and paint splattering everywhere. That's why I keep my art space free of decorative items, they would be ruined in short order!  On the other hand my floor might be a work of art one day.

I have also added some elements to the Joshua Tree.  I am using Golden Interference Gold (fine) paint to outline the tree, love how it's interacting with the base colours.  When I can I'll have my daughter take some photos of it and pray we can capture the shifting colours.  I've also added the words 'songline' in Hebrew text, I love the look of the Hebrew language and use it often in my art.  It adds a wonderful linear element the composition. I'm going to try some gold leafing to highlight those.

I don't know if you've been following the comment threat from this post, and this one, but my Aussie friend Kel, took one look at the collaged vintage music sheet elements I had added to the base of the tree and said this:

"Oh my - the hairs just stood up on the back of my neck...you've put a songline in there!"








This is what a songline means according to the link Kel included.

"Songlines, also called Dreaming tracks by Indigenous Australians within the animist indigenous belief system, are paths across the land, which mark the route followed by localized 'creator-beings' during the Dreaming. The Dreaming can be seen as an embodiment of Creation, which gives meaning to everything. The paths of the songlines are recorded in traditional songs, stories, dance and painting. A knowledgeable person is able to navigate across the land by repeating the words to the song, which describe the location of landmarks, waterholes and the natural phenomena. 



I love it!  Love that our art can take us places we don't fully understand as we follow our instincts.  I love the idea that my art comes from the place of Dreaming with my Creator and it spills out leaving it's impressions that can impact others.  More importantly The Creator leaves his imprint on the inside of me...

On to other things. My Grand-daughter Grace also has a new project on the go.  She is doing a piece for her teacher who loved what she had painted with me some time ago.  So she asked me to use the insolation foam and get the canvas ready for her to paint. (The foam is beyond messy so I handle that part of it)  I've laid out a couple of things, one like what she has already done and the other, well it reminds me of the milky way and a full moon in a night sky.  Could be fun!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...