Pages

April 15, 2011

Keeping At It

Thought I'd share with you were I've gone with my Joshua Tree canvas.  This has got to be the softest colour pallett I've ever used.  I can't adequately capture the actual tint and hues of the colours I'm using but I love the names, Australian Blue Gum, Australian Sky Blue and Southern Ocean Blue, Australian Red Violet all by Australian based Matisse products.

My plans are to paint the tree like limbs in a metallic yet to be determined and who knows what else will happen with this one before I call it done.  I've also added some vintage music sheet notes along it's roots, the Joshua Tree got it's name because it reminded Mormon settlers of the Biblical Joshua raising his arms in prayer.

Because of the challenge this has been for me, I thought I'd find out a little more about the Joshua Tree, some things really popped out at me.


"deep and extensive" root system. If it survives the rigors of the desert it can live for hundreds of years with some specimens surviving up to a thousand years.

Joshua trees usually do not branch until after they bloom.. " 


He's a resilient fellow, going down deep in order to find the nourishment he needs to survive and thrive.  I love that first he blooms then he branches out.  Kind of reminds me that I need to let my art bloom from within me fully before worrying about the branching out that comes with wanting to share your creations with others.  All in all, I'm finding the Joshua Tree pretty inspiring.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...