Pages

March 20, 2011

What a Haul!

When I went to the post office to pick up my contest winnings from Mary Beth Shaw, I was shocked at the size of the box.  I knew that she was sending me some items from her personal stash of ephemera and an autographed copy of her book as well as one of her stencils "just because."  I was not expecting the haul that awaited me inside that box!

Along with my personalized copy of her book, which I will treasure and use, was not one, not two but three of Mary Beth's unique stencils. (I've already used one of them to add effects to my current canvas remake.)  Well if that were not enough, the huge bag of ephemera put me right over the moon!  Vintage ledger pages, maps, artwork, wallpaper, game pieces, game score pads, tab tops, coupons, cocktail napkins, film strip and shorthand pages that took me straight back to high school!  Just seeing these items sparked all sorts of ideas, she truly is the queen of flea market finds.

Well my first layers of paint should be dry now so I'm off to see what needs layering in next, hope you are have a wonderfully creative week.  And if you haven't already do check out Mary Beth's website and book. You can read my review of her book here.

I wanted to share with you a little piece of wisdom from Doris McCarthy, a Canadian artist who savoured her life, she passed away last year at 100 years of age.  This is part of her Convocation Address at the University of Toronto in 2001, she was 91.

"This is the wonderful secret I want to share with you.  Life gets better and better with every year that passes.  Don't be afraid of old age.  It has the gifts that are even better than youth.  To earn those gifts, start now.  And I mean today, this minute.  Be aware of who you are, where you are, and why. Realize this moment.  Savour it.  Like every other moment in your life, past or future it is unique.   You are living now, always now!  Rejoice in it.  


Remember, it is loving your work that is important, not comfort, not security, not public acclaim, but happiness.  If every day you are aware of what you are doing and know that you have chosen it because you love it, that is a good life.  If you cannot love the path you have chosen, leave it and start again.  There is no disgrace in learning by experience.  But to merely endure your work for the sake of money or status, or peer pressure or for any other reason is to squander the most precious treasure of all, your very life."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...