Pages

October 15, 2011

Process

Process is interesting. I don't know about you but I get more questions/comments about my process, what I'm using, how I layer.  In short what's your process in completing a piece?

Some days it's one step forward and three back!  But it's still my process.  I've come to appreciate the learning curve of failed attempts and the ability to start again.  Gesso is my friend.

For example, in this piece I had deepened my teal/blues and worked on various areas but the overall, was this huge block of, well, teal.  So after conferring with my hubby, who's always good for an opinion, out came the gesso so I could create a little more colour variance with the teal.

I set that aside to begin the layered painting process on the triptych piece.  That first wash of colour is now drying before I continue. The tricky part of working with white/grey/black is you can wind up with all the same shade of grey if you over mix, over work the area :-)

Anyway, some of you asked what I used to texture these canvases.  With the teal, it's a wide range of heavy gel, texture paste, coarse lava paste, insolation foam, and my new fun toy, Spider Webbing from the halloween decorations.  With the other canvas I used Gorilla glue (thank you Suzy Andron for introducing me to this stuff!)to draw my design, then begin filling and texturing with molding paste, gels, crackle and of course the webbing.

So here's to process and practice!

"The process of creation is a force moving through us, only through practice do we learn how to cooperate with it."  Shaun McNiff

The start of something, I hope!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...