Pages

June 10, 2011

Pouring Paint

Today is a very large day, a term I use to describe an open sky, sunshine and strong breezes that allows me to enjoy the great outdoors without over heating or being eaten alive by black flies!  While my textured layers are drying on a new piece I've begun,  I'm outside with a good book, Painting from the Inside Out by Betsy Dillard Stroud, which by the way you can grab up second hand on amazon, and our dog Jazz to keep me company.

I've also taken the opportunity to do some experimenting with various colour mixes.  I like to do pours starting with just a couple of colours that I'm curious about and see how they mix, what variances I can get as the paints blend and meld together. (This is Mattisse Australian Red Violet & Pyrrole Orange by Golden) Usually I'll do this on large sheets of watercolour paper which find there way into signatures of new journals or I make bookmarks or use them for collage.   But today I used my journal pages to do some limited palette pours.  With my pours I'm not looking to create a great looking piece, just understand the dynamics of colour a little better so I know what to expect when I use it on canvas.

Speaking of pours, check out the pour action of artist, Bette Ridgeway, now that's working large.  I have such a hankering to work on something of that size. There is something about unrestrained boundaries that appeals to me in a big way :-)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...