Pages

September 16, 2011

Natural Movements

Did another practice run using shades of grey, silver and purple, a new colour palette for me.  I keep these gesso boards around for trying new stuff out on and for my Grand-daughters when we decide to sling paint.  Since taking these pictures, I've done an interference silver float over top of the greys and silver.  I'm liking the results. The purple has receded into the background more which I wanted and the interference silver has settled around the palette knife scrapings creating an interesting effect. The whole thing has a more luminous look and greater depth.

I've really been enjoying the challenge of using these colours and trying to figure out what had me so stumped about using them.  I think one of the main things was finding a way to express my own unique style of layers and numerous washes/glazes that bring the pieces to rich, deep tones.  Or as Shaun McNiff said in Trust The Process,

"Approach your painting with the goal of expressing movements that you find natural."

By denying myself the desire for depth and deeper tones I was never happy with the results I was getting. I wasn't following my own natural movements when I paint.  Interesting huh?

And here is my other canvas, I have some areas I want to tone down and a few other touches then it will be time to let both pieces, the practice piece I've shared here and this one to rest.  I need to hang or set them up so I can see them and over time determine where or what else I need to do to bring them to that place of completion.

Till Next Time!
StudioJRU



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...