Pages

June 4, 2013

Around The Studio Part 2!



Before
It's one beautiful Spring day outside my loft, cool breezes and warm sunshine, what a day to be outside! Unfortunately I'm not!  Over the last few weeks my loft has become so clogged up I simply had to get it cleared away, especially as I've got canvas and other supplies coming and no place to store then.

Before 
Up until I began painting 4 years ago, my loft had been my library/computer room.  It has always been an oases for me, a place to get quite and reflect, curl up and read a good book or two.  As I realized the place art was going to have in my life I began to purge the room, giving away 3/4 of my library and filling the shelves with journals, paints and all the other things that come from working in abstract and mixed media.

Preparing for art fairs requires a lot of stock, so finding space to safely store finished paintings of various sizes along with everything that's needed to create them, well the loft quickly became a disaster!  It didn't help that I had to replace a coloured laser printer recently, leaving me to figure out what to do with 3 printers!

After
One corner of the room is the computer area (that's where I'm taking the photo from) I did what I could for now, simply don't have the time to purge as deeply as I intend to, but at least now I can get back to painting!  I keep the loft empty of things of value, the last thing I need is to feel restricted and worried about splattering paint on some cherished item.  It's funny, when it comes to cooking or doing other things, I keep the mess down, cleaning up as I go, but with the art it's no holds barred!  I give myself permission to splatter at will, so there is paint on walls, windows, shelves, floors, drapes.  If these things mattered I'd need to move to the unfinished part of the basement to paint!
After
And no, the floor is not vacuumed or scrubbed yet :-)

To see the computer area and where I'm storing some of my finished art aside from what's hiding under the grey sheet, see this post.

You might have noticed I decided to go streamline with my blog as well.  I'm hoping the blog will load more quickly without all the background graphics as well as be easy on the eyes and now it coordinates with my website!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...