Pages

January 27, 2011

Your Artist Voice

I've been looking at a book online called 'Finding Your Visual Voice.'  But before I ordered it I decided to do a little journaling about knowing my visual voice.  As I reflected using backgrounds that were test runs on some new colour combinations I wanted to try using, I made a few discoveries about myself.

It seems I love the Old Masters deep rich colours and tones, at least on canvas.  I've tried very hard to move to the more modern, vibrant, bright colours and I could just never seem to leave them there, they always wound up going deeper, and ultimately changing the look of what I thought I wanted the piece to look like.

Just this week I tried to do a modern, sophisticated look using greys, black, silvers with a touch of deep purple for contrast.  I could see it in my minds eye but when I got it onto my textured canvas, I just didn't like it.  Now I know another artist could take these and make it all work, I've seen and admired their work but I just can't seem get past the disquiet I feel using these kinds of colour palettes.  This all lead to the realization that I may well have already found my artist voice, from the moment I began to create textured abstracts on canvas.  There's a shock!  Instead of realizing it, I've been fighting with myself and therefore getting hung up over colour more than anything else creatively.

After writing a draft of this post I got out Nita Leland's book, The New Creative Artist. As always this wonderful lady's writing helped me out.  

"Pay attention to the inner voice that tells you when something feels right. Much of your creative problem-solving occurs at an unconscious level.  If you persist in ignoring your intuition you may find yourself stuck in a permanent holding pattern..."   

Thank you Nita! All I have to do is look at how my creativity returns when I stop fighting what I guess is my unique visual voice.  By the way, I have every book Nita Leland has written all of them are excellent and ones I continually go back to for help and guidance.  I hear she is updating and republishing her book, Creative Collage Techniques, you can bet I'll be buying it just for the added insights she will bring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...