Pages

January 19, 2014

Working Through Resistance!

 #108 Summer Serenade

"Resistance is always lying and always full of "sh--!" Steven Pressfield


I have to keep reminding myself of this as 'resistance' to the work springs up, these days in hyper criticalness  of my own work.  Seems lately I'm not happy with any of the 'finished' work and keep coming back in to 'fix' something or other.  Pressfield's little book, "Do The Work" is a knock in the right direction I'm thinking!

"Resistance is a repelling force. It's negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work.  Resistance will tell you anything to keep you from doing your work. It will perjure, fabricate, falsify; seduce, bully, cajole."

I often wonder how many other artist and creatives are out there battling resistance as I am?  It's a sneaky sucker and can take many forms that's for sure.  Still I keep painting, knowing that I'll never get through to the other side of resistance if I don't keep working.  Progress is slow, as are my posts, oops!

One little lie I keep telling myself, "if I can just get these pieces out of the way and free up some time just to play then I'll get my mojo back."  I wonder how many of us are telling ourselves similar things.  Maybe it's true, trouble is most of us have works we need to complete, commissions, replacement pieces, exhibitions to prepare for, art fairs looming, all good and necessary things to the working artist. In truth what is the likelihood that we are just going to find large blocks of time to play our way through resistance?

So I'm here in the studio daily, working away and I know out there somewhere I'm in good company!  A few hours have passed since I posted this and guess what wound up back on my easel again?!




I added a wash of purple violet to the piece and alter it's overall look, again! It's less green now and I like it better.  Now I have to update my website and FB fan page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...